Tuesday, June 4, 2013

One week left!

It's the final countdown! 

Cue the cheesy music (it makes the preparation 300 times more fun!). There are only 8 days left until I board the plane to Amsterdam. The trip has come up so quickly! Natalie is already in Tanzania working hard at the orphanage and I have been able to speak to her on the phone twice. She has told me that the nuns are keeping her very well fed and that the children are being as adorable as possible, all of which I am looking forward to. However, I am not looking forward to the bugs that she described!

I've spent a good chunk of time reading the Traveler's Guide that Chad sent out for the two week trip. Looking at the history of Tanzania, the geographical features, how to interact with local people, and what to pack. There is so much information that I need to know because the culture there is so different. I need to make sure I'm prepared to interact with people and that I have what I need with me.

Packing...

It's amazing how many things you need to remember to bring. There's medications, certificates of vaccination, plane tickets, passports, money, cameras, adapters, as well as appropriate clothes, shoes, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. Now I just have to figure out how to get everything I need into my suitcase. I have been shopping for and borrowing everything I need to bring and I'm close to having everything I need! We just have to take a few quick trips to Kohl's, a travel store, and the bank.

Language...

Also included in the Traveler's Guide is a list of some of the words and phrases that I will have to use while away. The phrase "asante sana" that Rafiki famously follows with "a squashed banana" in The Lion King actually is the Swahili phrase for "thank you very much." Because I'll be in such a thankful community I'll be using that phrase many many times. I hope I remember not to say "a squashed banana" afterwards!

Let it continue...

Tonight I went to a Bible Study with my parents and there was a man from Zambia there. He prayed for me to see what God has for me and for protection for me and the group. While quite a few people have been praying that for me since I decided to go, it felt so much realer coming from someone who has lived in the culture that I'm going to. Today, it sunk in that I only have one week left before leaving. While I am super nervous to go, I am also so excited to see what's in store for me. As my mom said today, each hug or small piece of attention that I will be giving to the children I will be working with can have a huge impact on their lives. I am excited to help make a difference in their lives. In 8 days I will be in the air on my way to Amsterdam, and then on my way to Kilimanjaro. It really is the final countdown.



Also check out Natalie's blog for the trip here.
And Pastor Chad's blog for the trip here.

2 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! You're going to have a life changing experience xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rafiki means friend in Kiswahili! Little Jacob says I am his rafiki :)

    ReplyDelete